Two years ago I attempted to bake my favourite dessert and failed miserably because I forgot the eggs and I added a spoon of coffee powder, recalling that my foodie YouTubers always add coffee to chocolate desserts to “bring out the intensity of the chocolate” or “enhance the chocolate flavour”. I wondered why my cakes weren’t jiggly in the centre and ended up with hard bitter rocks instead of molten cakes 😦 I haven’t tried making them again and have just been ordering them whenever they are on the dinner menu! Till today hehe.
I asked my sister for ramekins for Christmas last year and she bought me a ramekin family – all of different colours, and different sizes. I haven’t been baking much in these ramekins so the size difference doesn’t really bother me! It just means someone gets less and someone gets a load more, or I eat everything anyway so there’s really no difference. You can see in this photo that the centre is a soft circle where the batter isn’t cooked through!
Dusted icing sugar on the tops and garnished with strawberries on the side 🙂
- 100g dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter (and a little more for greasing ramekins)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar (and a little more for coating ramekins)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Strawberries (optional)
- Prepare your ramekins by brushing liberally with butter, then pour in some caster sugar and rotate your ramekins till the bottom and sides are completely coated. This is very important in ensuring your cakes slide out of the ramekins and onto your plate for serving!
- Melt the dark chocolate in a pan, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar till they are well combined and lighten in colour.
- Whisk in the plain flour and salt.
- Fold in half of your melted chocolate at a time, till the batter is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins.
- Bake for 11 minutes at 210c, or till the edges of the cakes pull away from the sides of the ramekins and only the centres are soft and jiggly!
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Over turn the ramekins on a plate, tapping gently on the bottoms to ease the cakes out.
- Dust with icing sugar, garnish with strawberries and serve!