I’ve decided to start dedicating posts to just recipes so I can keep a recipe index page and have all my recipes + pictures in one place! I’ve also started a baking Instagram account hehe hopefully I can use it for the rest of my life and bake a lot more! Go follow it here: @chockybakes I intend to make the most of this week and bake lots because the next time I can bake isn’t fixed heheh depending on whether I can squeeze time in! Anyway, I had a really intense craving for puff pastries and apple pies yesterday and I decided I had to make myself some or I would end up getting a fried apple pie from Macs. They aren’t actually that bad though hehe I feel they are quite a steal for $2 (..?) just really unhealthy. Also I’m saving money for Christmas presents boohoo. So I got some puff pastry and made my own apple pies! They were really easy to make too 🙂
Mom and I got this mini loaf pan from Phoon Huat and it’s so cute! I’ve seen a lot of apple pie styles on Instagram and this recipe was modified from a recipe for an apple turnover. I wanted to make a rectangle, pop-tart shaped pie and remembered this new pan! It made it a lot easier to shape and also ensured the apple filling stayed inside the puff 🙂 Although, I should have done a better job of greasing the pan because some of the puffs got stuck to the pan.
Mom and I did two lattices for the tops of these and then stopped because we weren’t sure if the pastry would puff up too much and ruin the design anyway. And also the pastry started getting way too soft and hard to work with! The remaining four puffs were just covered with regular rectangles and crimped at the edges with a fork 🙂
This was my first time dusting the tops of pastries with icing sugar haha but it really does make it look better!
This is a really easy recipe that can be done in under 15 minutes! It makes 6 mini puffs 🙂
- 2 medium fuji apples (peeled and cubed)
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/8 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Combine apples, corn starch, sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg in a pot. Heat over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Divide the first pastry sheet into 6 equal pieces and press down into the (well greased!) pan, or lay them on a piece of baking paper.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the pastry.
- Divide the second pastry sheet into 6 equal pieces an place on top of each puff.
- Using a fork, press down on the sides of the pastry.
- Make slits in the pastry with a knife to allow for air to escape during baking.
- Beat the egg and use a brush to brush the egg wash over each pastry.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar and cinnamon over the egg wash.
- Bake at 200c for 25 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve! 🙂